Hello all! My name is Anton Fatula, and I am an AmeriCorps member serving with the Student Farm at Penn State until August. My main role here is to support all of the wonderful student projects that take place, as well as help out with farm operations and contribute to the Sustainable Food Systems Network’s efforts to address food insecurity on campus.

I grew up in Howard, PA (just 20 minutes from UP Campus), so I’ve lived around agriculture for as long as I can remember. We had this Amish market just a short drive from my house where my family would stock up on corn, tomatoes, and other veggies all summer long. From this, I learned just how different fresh produce can taste from what you’d normally find in the grocery store. I’m also half Norwegian, and my family there used to operate a dairy farm that I got to experience when I was a kid! Seeing different perspectives on agriculture and, more generally, our role as humans in the food system in this way opened my eyes to all the things that could be possible with a good understanding of the environment around us!

This, and my interest in backpacking, led me to be passionate about the environment and what we can do to live sustainably within it. I recently graduated from Penn State where I majored in Environmental Resource Management and minored in Climate Studies. I have plans of continuing my education in sustainable development, but for now am very excited about my AmeriCorps term! During my time as an undergraduate, I had a number of experiences both helping out with the Student Farm Club and experiencing its impact through unique community events. This convinced me of the wonderful community and mission held by everybody here and keeps me motivated to contribute all that I can to support it.

Many people do not well understand where their food comes from or, better yet, the rewarding feeling that comes from growing it yourself. Because of this, many are not engaged in the problems and solutions that are important and agriculture as an industry as a whole can be misunderstood. I’m excited to support the Student Farm because it creates a safe space for both students at University Park and community members alike to learn the true value and beauty of the food on their plates. Food builds community, and a healthy relationship with the food system is priceless. Here we are in a unique position to educate the public on healthy eating, sustainable agriculture, waste reduction, and circularity of resources, and I’m excited to get to work with all of you to make these things happen!