From harvesting interesting crops such as celeriacs and tatsoi, to differentiating different kinds of plants and weeds, I have learned a lot about the diverse selection of foods and plants that can be grown in Pennsylvania and how to cook with them. In addition, I’ve learned how an organization like the Student Farm can benefit the surrounding community with food security. For example, the farm gives to organizations such as CSA and the Lion’s Pantry, as well as selling fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs to the Penn State dining halls. I love telling people about how great the Student Farm is for the community. The farm also does amazing things for sustainability on and off campus, such as composting, using local resources and encouraging sustainable transportation.

After studying Architecture and Sustainability at Penn State for about four years, I was introduced to the Student Farm through a class I took for my minor. My personal passions as an Architecture major led me to work at the Student Farm. Some of these passions include security for displaced peoples, sustainability, landscape design, and cooking. The farm has allowed me to go into depth of these passions. As an Architecture major, I was completely out of my element. After all, I spend day and night designing buildings and drawing plans on a giant desk in a studio space, not getting down on my hands and knees and working on the actual earth. Although this may be true, the Student Farm was completely welcoming and has taught me facts and skills that will stay with me for a long time.

Planning and prepping the landscape for crops has proved to be far more intense than I thought. I learned that factors such as wind, shade, light, the salinity of soil, pests, and more, all have to be considered when planning to yield the greatest amount of crops.

Finally, a personal skill I have learned from working at the farm is to be my own supervisor and learn through doing. I had never worked at a place like this and did not know anything about plants and agriculture. A lot of work at the farm is about doing what needs to be done by your own volition and caring enough to do it well. If I can do it, anyone can.

Working at the farm this past semester has been an honor. I’ve had so much fun with everyone who works there, and I’ve learned a lot. Almost anyone can work at the farm as long as they’re willing to learn and work hard. The work can be difficult sometimes, but it is worth it. The Student Farm is an important part of the community of students and families in the area, and it’s been a fun privilege to be a part of it.