Hey everyone! My name is Ben Lindgren; I am a second-year student from Pittsburgh studying international politics and community, environment, and development (CED). Since the beginning of my first year at Penn State, I immediately grew to love the Student Farm, the Student Farm Club, and the amazing initiatives that students are able to accomplish through the farm’s programs. I am also very involved with Penn State’s student government, the University Park Undergraduate Association (UPUA); I serve as the Director of Food Justice within the Department of Environmental Sustainability. I am currently working on planning the Penn State Farmer Partnership Program summit; this event will be held on November 8th from 12-4 p.m. in room 233 AB of the HUB-Robeson Center.  You can sign up to attend the event through this registration form! 

During this past summer, I had the opportunity to serve in AmeriCorps at Penn State where I assisted with various projects under the Lion’s Pantry, the Office of Student Care and Advocacy, and the Student Farm. I also took the opportunity to conduct informational interviews with local government officials, agricultural professionals, and Penn State Extension members working within Centre County and the state on the topic of farm stress. For my Rhetoric and Civic Life (RCL) Class in the spring 2023 semester, I wrote a civic issue research paper exploring the national decline of small family farms and the increase of depressive disorders and suicides within the small farming community. I was not surprised, but most definitely saddened, to hear from my interviewees that small farm closures, farm transition challenges, and farm accidents continue to increase within the local area and beyond. I am so incredibly grateful that I had the opportunity to work at Penn State through AmeriCorps this summer, and I found the inspiration to organize and execute the Farmer Partnership Program Summit through my work with Leslie Pillen and the UPUA during this fall semester.  

Planning the Farmer Partnership Program Summit has definitely been an amazing learning experience for me. Bringing together individuals from various backgrounds and fields of expertise is a daunting task, but I have been able to build a thorough understanding of the time and energy involved in both event planning and community engagement programming. Regardless of the outcomes of the event, I know that I have gained a new perspective on Pennsylvania agriculture and the countless individuals who work to ensure the agricultural community’s well-being.  

For me, it’s sometimes hard to imagine our food system and farms as unstable and vulnerable. Having lived in Pennsylvania for the entirety of my life, the rolling, pastoral landscapes of the state have always maintained a sense of permanence for me, but I now know that this is not the case. I believe that young individuals need to be aware of the challenges facing our food system, for without awareness, there is no capacity to act. The issues facing our farms will ultimately affect all of us, and I hope that the Farmer Partnership Program Summit will enhance undergraduate interest in these agricultural issues with the intent of establishing stronger university programs for greater community engagement. Although I may not be from a farm family myself, I personally know the burdens that mental illness can bring to any family; it is my hope that my work will be able to support, in any capacity, the individuals who support us every day with quality food to eat.