Hi everyone! My name is Hope Nicholson and I am a new 2022 intern at the Student Farm. I am a freshman majoring in Community, Environment, and Development. I am also planning to minor in Earth and Sustainability.

Growing up, I was surrounded by nature. My family and I would constantly go on hikes and camping trips. We kept a small home garden and belonged to a local CSA. Whether I was hiking past blossoming mountain laurel bushes, taste testing a home-grown strawberry, or harvesting a share of the CSA, I was always in awe of how amazing nature was. In my spare time, I would watch shows like Animal Planet or Planet Earth to learn more about the beautiful world around us. However, it wasn’t until I came across documentaries like Cowspiracy and Before the Flood that my passion for the environment and sustainability really began to grow. These documentaries introduced me to the harsh reality of climate change. Immediately after watching these films, I knew I needed to do something to help our planet. I became more interested in the environmental impacts of where our food came from. I went vegetarian, cut down on my dairy intake, and ate more locally.

As I continued to educate myself about environmental sustainability issues, I became interested in the intersectionality between social justice and food systems. I came to learn that food systems and racial injustice go hand in hand. Many majority black, brown, and low-income areas in the US lack fresh food. Fresh produce tends to be sold at high prices. Oftentimes, these areas cannot afford to pay these prices, so they are instead sold in wealthier areas. This can cause many health disparities among these communities. This issue is something that I hope to work to solve in the future, and I hope to become more educated about food production and distribution as an intern.

When I entered college, I knew I wanted to get more involved in sustainable food systems. At the club fair, I was introduced to the Student Farm Club. After attending a couple meetings, I heard about the student farm internship opportunity and decided to apply. One of the main things that stood out to me about the student farm is that it actively works to improve Penn State. From donating produce to organizations like the Lions Pantry to having a CSA, the student farm is increasing food security throughout the state college community.

As an intern, I want to become more involved in the community engagement aspect of the student farm. I hope to learn more about food distribution by participating in our CSA program. I am also excited to learn more about how the student farm is limiting its impact on the environment by being as sustainable as possible. Of course, I also look forward to the hands-on growing and harvesting of our produce and seeing how the seeds we plant will transform into hardy and nutritional plants. Overall, I am excited to continue getting to know the ins and outs of the student farm over the next year!