Hi! My name is Katherine Lang, and I am an AmeriCorps member working with the Sustainable Food Systems Program for the 2020-21 program year. I am a native of western PA, and I am excited to be working with Penn State students this year at the Student Farm! As a kid I always enjoyed being outdoors, exploring nature, and working in the garden, and these passions have continued into my adult life. When I am not spending time outside, I am likely painting watercolors, cooking/baking, reading a novel, or watching Star Trek.

Over the past several years, I have developed a passion for the study of biology, particularly animal physiology and wildlife ecology. I earned my bachelor’s degree in biology at Benedictine College in northeastern Kansas, and I just completed my master’s degree in biology at the University of Central Arkansas. My experience in biology has heightened my awareness of and passion for topics such as conservation and sustainability, so I am very excited to learn more about sustainability while working at the Student Farm!

While an undergrad, I became involved in research and found that I loved it. I realized that I wanted more research experience, which was a factor that led to my decision to attend graduate school. As a masters student, I researched ecophysiology of prairie lizards and worked as a teaching assistant, teaching labs for anatomy and physiology courses. Working as a TA helped me to discover an unexpected passion for teaching and education, and I am thrilled to work in a different aspect of higher education at the Student Farm.

My background in farm life has been decidedly on the animal side of things. For several summers, I worked at a summer camp in West Virginia as the lead horse wrangler on a working farm. I love working with and riding horses, and I enjoyed teaching kids about horses. As you’ve probably figured out at this point, I am very much an animal person. However, I am quite excited to take this next year to embrace my inner plant person to serve the Student Farm and the local community.

In the brief time I’ve been on the farm so far, the students I have worked with have been amazing and welcoming, and they have taught me so much about the farm process already! As an ecologist, I find the sustainable, biological approach of the Student Farm to be fascinating. I look forward to learning so much more, to working with Penn State students, and to contributing to food sustainability education for the local community over this coming year!