Starting a garden can be daunting. Especially if you have never done it before. As the AmeriCorps member with the Student Farm at Penn State, I partnered with Centre Moves, Harris township Community Gardens, Master Gardeners and the PSU Community Gardens to host a Beginner Gardener Workshop last Saturday, April 20th.

This workshop included five different stations that covered the topics of plotting your garden, preparing for planting, cover cropping, introducing pollinators into your garden and making your own seed tape. Attendees were also able to walk away with free seedlings and free seeds. About 60 people attended the workshop and lots of people were able to have their questions and fears about beginning a garden addressed by our very knowledgeable workshop hosts. I hosted the cover crop station and I loved being able to talk about ways that gardeners can take care of their garden soil even when the growing season is over. I was also able to learn a lot through those who attended the workshop. Community events such as this is one of my favorite parts of my AmeriCorps position. Happy spring and let’s get gardening!