By: Dan Wisniewski, freshman, plant sciences

Just hours ago the Tuesday crew and I completed tilling half our fields, de-rocking the beds, planting potatoes, and putting nails in the sheds to hang our farm tools. One year ago I would have never imagined in a million years those words would ever come out of my mouth. I came from a neat, tidy suburb of Pittsburgh and attended an all-boys catholic prep high school, in the city. I wore a tie every day for 4 years. Arguably the most opposite of where I am today, all thanks to the student farm. I came into Penn State with no agriculture background, didn’t know what tilling even meant, but I did have a crazy obsession with growing plants. The student farm has allowed me to capture my passion for plants and practically use it.

The Student Farm field site. Photo: Dan Wisniewski

I have been a member of the Student Farm Club since the beginning of the year, but did not start interning until this last semester, Spring of 2017. It started off with my plans to convert the old vegetable cellar roof into a green space, but unfortunately after almost 2 months of planning OPP decided that this was not a good idea. Even though this was devastating it allowed me to focus on helping the main sector of the student farm. Before field work was to even to be started I did so much of the behind the scenes work. From counting thousands of plastic trays and beds, to sharpening all the farm’s tools, to painting all the shovels and spades bright neon orange, and taking inventory of the entire vegetable cellar. I learned a farmer’s job goes far beyond the field. The hours spent helping to organize and prep the vegetable cellar, the farm club’s storage area, really taught me everything in agriculture is not as it looks. Many people just see a 1 acre farm, but they won’t see all the hard work students took out of their busy schedules to spend in the greenhouses and cellar to prep for the spring. This internship has given me such an appreciation for farming both on and off the field.

Dan planting and inspecting seedlings in the greenhouse. Photo: Dan Wisniewski

Finally, this internship has given me the chance to work in a team. I went in not knowing any of the guys I work with, but as I put in hours tilling fields and planting seeds it allowed me to bond with fellow interns. The student farm both club and interns has some really great people and over the last 4 months I have had the honor to get to know these amazing folk.

Save

Save