Hello everyone! My name is Lex Trevelino, and I am looking forward to joining the next group of interns with the Penn State Student Farm. This fall I’ll be a senior majoring in Biological Engineering with minors in International Agriculture and Environmental Engineering. Ever since I was little, I have been passionate about food and eager to learn how it is grown, where it originates, and what we do with it from farm to table. So, it should come as no surprise that the kitchen and the garden are two of my favorite places.

Before high school, my interest with food was always more of a hobby, but as a high school junior I was able to study food systems in greater depths traveling to California to witness large-scale industrial agriculture, Virginia and Maine to get hands-on experience on local organic farms, and finally to Ghana and Malawi to learn about agricultural sustainability and gender equality. That year had a profound impact on me, ultimately influencing my academic interests in agriculture, sustainability and in recent years, vertical farming.

At Penn State, I have remained passionate and opportunistic in absorbing as much as I can about agriculture and its effects on the environment. I joined the Student Farm Club, became involved with the hydroponics project team and immediately was hooked by the idea of growing plants without soil. The concept wrapped agriculture, sustainability, science and engineering, all into one. As a senior I’ll be conducting research on hydroponic lighting systems, and I hope to learn more about it through grad school.

Another thing that I wanted to add to my undergrad experience was the chance see things from other perspectives. Last year I spent a semester abroad in Bhutan through an environmental field studies program. I learned about environmental conservation, sustainable land use, mountain ecology, and conducted research in one of the most environmentally preserved areas in the world. I even co-founded our own greenhouse committee! This experience made me eager to travel again and consider joining the PeaceCorps to continue working with agriculture and sustainability.

I believe my academic and personal experiences have served me well in preparation for joining the Student Farm. I have had experience volunteering on organic farms for more than six summers and worked last year with a start-up connecting farmers and consumers. Through this internship, I want to expand my technical skills and become a more confident leader. As important, I hope I can walk away with the knowledge and skills it takes to grow and maintain a fully functioning farm. I also want to be able to inspire others and share my passion for food and the journey it has led me on. I am eager to return to campus to get my hands dirty with my fellow interns.